Monday, July 29, 2013

Week Ten: Contacting the Potential Project Team

After getting positive responses from a handful of scholars, I scheduled phone conversations to chat with each of them at greater length the following week. That Monday I had four phone calls lined up. After my first conversation, the other three went very smoothly, without any hiccups. I had perfected my sales pitch and had a rhythm and ready-made response for any of their questions or reservations. The only one of any interest to this blog was my first conversation – the one before I perfected my talking points.
 
The conversation was with Dr. Clarence Mohr, the department chair of the History Department at the University of South Alabama. Admittedly, I was a little intimidated. Stammering along, I managed to make my pitch. At first, he sounded unimpressed and uninterested. “What is the name of grant?” he asked. Amazingly, shockingly, I couldn’t remember! I knew the essence of the grant, I could say things like “it’s an NEH Planning Grant,” but I had forgotten the full name (if I ever actually knew it anyway). I had gone outside into the park opposite of the PHC’s entrance to make the phone call. I figured it would be a nice, quiet spot to make a few phone calls, giving me an opportunity to stretch my legs a little in the process. I brought the draft of the grant narrative, should he ask specifics of the humanities themes we wanted him to interpret. I brought his CV, should I need to reference something he had done in the past. But I didn’t think to bring the application! And suddenly, I found myself far away from my desk and serving up a jumbled collection of possible names. I’m sure the first few minutes of our conversation inspired confidence in Dr. Mohr regarding the project. How good our grant will be when the grant-writer can’t even remember the name of the grant he’s been working on! Strike one. (Just to set the record straight, it is the America’s Historical and Cultural Organizations: Planning Grants with the National Endowment for the Humanities Division of Public Programs).
Next came discussion of what types of stipends or honorariums we were planning to pay our humanities consultants. The number Dr. Beiler and I had discussed, and which was recommended to me by Laura Keim per our earlier conversation on the matter, was $1,500 per scholar, not counting travel, housing, and meals. And that’s what I told him. After I conveyed the number we had in mind he informed me that he had done legal consulting in the past, sometimes at $150 dollars per hour. So, in essence, our offer was peanuts by comparison. Strike two. But that’s the humanities, there wasn’t much we could do about the size of our stipends.
After a rough start, I rebounded. I dove into the tenets of our plan and the uniqueness of our historic site. Mohr seemed interested by the way we sought to use education as an interpretive theme with which to contextualize other aspects of history. I told him that not many museums made education central to their interpretations of American history. He agreed. The first five minutes were rough, but the next twenty-five minutes of the conversation went smoothly. His biggest concern after the initial reservations was committing to a project that was still about a year away. As chair of his department, he was reluctant to make a hard-and-fast commitment, not knowing what else might come up before then. He asked me to contact the NEH and ask how firm the “letters of commitment” had to be this early.
I contacted the NEH and, again, like the time before, they answered promptly and were extremely helpful. The person I spoke to said that the letters did not need to be very “committed” but instead just needed to convey that 1.) the project was worthwhile and 2.) that they would be interested in participating. That was all. I relayed the information to Dr. Mohr and he agreed to be tentatively on board. And so the project team began to take shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment